Opto-Mechanical Engineer – Dynamic Growing Aerospace Company
Work for one of the most dynamic and fastest growing Aerospace companies in California. With a great leadership team, incredible employee appreciation and undeniable chances to grow – look what we have to offer you!
FEATURES AND BENEFITS:
- A dynamic, fast-growing and highly innovative Southern California high tech company specializing in advanced military defense, homeland security, and energy solutions.
- With almost 35 years in business and over $110Mil and annual revenue the company has developed a unique business model of achieving both research and technology advancements, and transitioning them into commercial and defense products.
- Located in Torrance, CA with that includes some of the most highly advanced and unique research laboratories, as well as engineering, prototyping, development, testing, and production facilities you will find.
- Delivered $300+ million in products to clients in various defense as well as commercial industries.
- Employing nearly 300 hundred of the most talented people; including many PhD level scientists and engineers around.
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY:
- Excellent work/life balance
- Employer contributed comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage at competitive rates and lower premiums.
- Generous employer contributed 401k savings plan
- Complimentary Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 1 week of vacation time upon hire, 15 days paid vacation, 10 paid holidays
- Company sponsored lunch and learns, team building activities, and onsite yoga classes
- Relocation assistance available
As the company’s new Opto-Mechanical Engineer you will have the unique opportunity to provide technical support over diverse product development and sustainment projects to include various defense airborne, maritime, and undersea systems.
Do you have a passion for opto-mechanics, kinematics and dynamics system design? If you to then this might be the opportunity for you.
You will get to design concepts, analyze, and develop solutions to complex problems, and independently perform tasks critical to the success of the engineering department. You will also support substantial proposal development and perform research and development work to support long-term strategic objectives.
Other great things you get to do:
Opto-mechanics: system concept development, opto-mechanical system architecture, opto-mechanical system trade-off analysis, requirements definition and flow down, detailed opto-mechanical design, test and evaluation of opto-mechanical performance parameters at both the component and system level.
Kinematics and dynamics: design mechanical concepts of for maritime and underwater applications, analysis system response of the concepts, fabricate conceptual prototypes, perform field and underwater testing of prototypes.
Successful candidates are expected to present a track record of the following essential functions:
- Skilled in the use of CAD tools such as SolidWorks and Creo. Industrial Design/Human Factors is a plus.
- Understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing methods and conventions in accordance with ASME Y14.5-2009.
- Fundamental modeling and analytical understanding of static and dynamic mechanical properties (e.g. stress, torque, natural frequency, damping, thermal expansion, etc.)
- Specification and design of opto-mechanical mechanisms and components (positioning systems, zoom lenses, focus/FOV changing mechanisms, etc.)
- System light-weighting techniques/ materials/ trade off analysis
- Passive athermalization techniques/ designs
- Hermetic and Environmental Seal design
- Electro-Optics System packaging & Integration
- Knowledge of advanced materials: alloys, composites, ceramics, thermoplastics, epoxies
- Knowledge of advanced manufacturing methods: EDM, rapid prototyping, casting and molding, laser cutting, brazing, etc.
- Familiarity with advanced metrology tools including CMM’s, ESS chambers, LabView, shake tables, etc.
- Ability to generate required documentation including detailed drawings, design reports, assembly procedures, bills-of-material, test procedures, etc.
- Thermal/ structural analysis: use of analytical tools including FEA, specifically ANSYS Workbench.
- Familiarity with optical design tools desirable (Zemax preferred), but not essential
- Support workforce planning activities.
- Support bid and proposal activities.
- Develops new or improved department processes.
- MS Office, including MS Project & Visio
- Torrance, CA is ranked in the Top 25 of “Best Suburban Cities to live in Los Angeles County” (based on factors including: crime/safety, housing, diversity, nightlife/recreation, school system, and the ability to raise a family)
- Located near the beaches of Los Angeles County and Orange County border opens up an endless possibility of fun recreational activities without the hassle of a tourist community.
- Expertise with hands-on opto-mechanical design skills and broad capabilities in the area of mechanical engineering.
- 5 or more years of applicable experience in opto-mechanical engineering.
- Experience using CAD tools such as SolidWorks and Creo
- Theoretical and experienced-based knowledge of opto-mechanical system design for Electro Optics assemblies in addition to a firm foundation in mechanical engineering.
- Knowledge of field testing of large mechanical hardware prototype both on surface and underwater.
- Strong understanding of kinematic and linkage mechanics and a strong mechanical intuition and theoretical analysis system dynamics
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (Master’s preferred).
Location: Torrance, CA 90501